a historically listed building with extension
project at Franz&Sue, Graz (Austria), realized
We are starting with the listed building, which dates back to 1912 and has been missing an essential element up to now: a central entrance area that provides orientation, welcomes students, staff and visitors and serves as a distribution point for the building. To this end, we are opening up the previously closed east side, which is predestined for the main entrance due to its orientation to the street and the neighboring clinic. Inside, we are breaking off part of the second floor to create a bright, inviting foyer that opens up to the public urban space and thus enhances the entire complex.
Modern new construction meets historic substance. From the foyer, we go down into the depths, where we make the largest cut on the site: As a connecting piece between the existing building and our new building, we are digging a new basement for a large lecture hall for 500 students. At the same time, we are expanding the institute to include a multi-purpose room for events and lectures. Above ground, a green courtyard is being created between the old and new buildings. The study and teaching of anatomy also requires areas that are secured and only accessible to a limited extent. In this contrast between open and closed zones lies the challenge in this project, especially in the two-story new building, which houses, among other things, two dissection rooms with 70 tables and the mortuary.
type of project:
reference project, realized
Bundesimmobiliengesellschaft m.b.H., Medical University Graz
(Thomas Rögelsperger, Anna Ladurner, Carla Kuhn, Tanja Marben
Magdalena Brodka, Daniel Krawczyk, Linda Ercusi, Thomas Huck)
net usable floor area: